Getting Ready for RDA
Arabic Cataloger at the National Library of Qatar
This paper is intended to give a brief overview about RDA, RDA implementation, bibliographic description and authority control using RDA. The paper will cover the following main points with illustrative examples from MARC records.
• General Overview of RDA
• RDA implementation: Why? Who? What? When? How?
• FRBR terminology, the basis for RDA
• Recognize RDA bibliographic records
• The new MARC fields used in bibliographic records
• The major differences in how bibliographic records are constructed under RDA
• The rules which affect Arabic cataloging
• Recognize RDA authority records
• The new MARC fields used in authority records
• The major differences in how name headings are established under RDA
• The rules which affect establishing Arabic names