The standard model “BIBFRAME” for resources description and access in web environment: applications and challenges
Conference organized by Cybrarians; the Arabic Portal for Librarianship and Information
9-10 September 2015
Starting from the second decade of the 21st century a great revolution happening in cataloging. In April 2013, the implementation of the new cataloging rules RDA started officially, and nowadays BIBFRAME considered the potential substitute of MARC 21. The Bibliographic Framework Initiative issued in 2011 by Library of Congress in order to make a huge change in the structure of bibliographic records.
Cybrarians organization is pleased to organize this event in order to reduce the time gap between Arabic and global library community. The conference aiming at presenting the Bibliographic Framework “Bibframe” to get Arabic community up to date, and to discuss the expected effects of new changes in cataloging, and how Arab library community will be ready to such new challenges.
1. The identity of “BIBFRAME”, terms and applications.
2. Comparison between MARC 21 and “BIBFRAME”.
3. The future of cataloging within RDA and “BIBFRAME”.
4. The current situation of MARC in Egyptian and Arabic library, and challenges of conversion to “BIBFRAME”.
5. Linked data as a platform of “BIBFRAME”.
6. Effects of “BIBFRAME” on information library systems (ILS).
7. Information search and retrieval within “BIBFRAME” implementation.
8. How Arabic libraries can be ready for “BIBFRAME”.
9. Relation between “BIBFRAME” and standard identifiers (DOI, ISNI, ICSI, ARK)
10. “BIBFRAME” and its relation to metadata and data models (RDF, EDM)
1. Research papers.
2. Key lectures.
4. Marketing sessions.